Every year around the holidays, tech lovers line up in anticipation of getting their hands on the newest top-of-the-line flagship smartphones at great prices. Deemed “flagship” because they represent the best technologies from each major manufacturer, these phones feature upgrades and new features designed to make the smartphone experience better than ever before.
If you’re itching to own a flagship phone and just can’t wait for the holiday deals, you can snag some decent promotions from top carriers and big box stores around release time. Of course, the deals are only good if you get a phone with features you love and will use, so start by comparing what’s new from the big names in smartphone technology.
Here’s what you need to know about the best cell phone offers.
Samsung Galaxy S10
Samsung has long worn the crown as the top-selling smartphone manufacturer. Although sales figures are leveling out, Samsung still sits at the top of the heap. In fact, Samsung hopes that the latest addition to the Galaxy family, the Galaxy S10, cements its position moving forward.
8GB of RAM, a 6.1-inch screen, one 16MP camera anchored by two 12 MP cameras, and 128GB and 512GB storage options round out the Samsung S10.
Samsung’s flagship smartphone utilizes the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, which makes switching apps and recording videos a breeze. Plus, it has the most impressive display around.
Did we mention that the S10’s display is the best? Well, it is. It’s a Dynamic AMOLED. The display uses HDR10+ technology to produce vivid colors. The likes of which simply don’t exist on other smartphones.
The S10 features:
- An in-display fingerprint scanner for fast unlocking;
- A triple-lens camera for ultra-crisp pictures;
- Fast wireless charging, and;
- The ability to upgrade storage capacity with a microSD card.
The Galaxy S10 doesn’t fluctuate much across the major cellphone carriers. If you’re eying the 128GB version, you’re probably going to end up paying $899.99. On the other hand, the 512GB version goes for $1,149.99.
- Dynamic AMOLED screen
- Headphone jack
- The ability to add 512GB of external memory
- On the expensive side
- Battery life falls flat
- The in-display fingerprint scanner doesn’t always work as advertised
- The camera is far from the best available at the price point
- At T-Mobile, purchase any Samsung Galaxy S10 and get another Galaxy phone for free.
- Lease a Samsung Galaxy S10 capable of 5G from Sprint for $30 a month.
- Go to Best Buy to save up to $750 when activating a Samsung Galaxy S10 with qualified trade-in.
Google Pixel 4
Google has quickly established itself as a real force in the smartphone market.
Google’s Pixel phones have always been celebrated for its fantastic cameras. The Pixel 4 is no exception. The difference this time around being that the phone has a whole host of intuitive, life-altering features.
The Pixel 4 looks to build on Google’s previous smartphones with:
- A 5.7-inch full HD+ display;
- 2,800mAh battery;
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855;
- Pixel Neural Core processor;
- 6GB of RAM;
- 12MP dual-pixel camera, and;
- 16MP telephoto camera.
Depending on how much you’re hoping to spend, the Pixel 4 offers both 64GB and 128GB storage options. Unfortunately, you cannot expand said storage with a microSD card.
Wireless charging, water resistance, and a market-leading camera come standard. However, motion sense motion control, face unlock, an upgraded version of Google Assistant and the Recorder App — which can transcribe your words using AI — really drive the Pixel brand forward.
As always, your desire to take high-quality pictures on the go will be a huge factor when picking out a new phone. Fortunately, smartphone cameras don’t get much better than the Pixel 4’s.
The 64GB Pixel 4 starts at $799. If that’s not enough storage, you can double it with the 128GB offering. This model lists for $899.
- Best camera in the game
- Face unlock is incredibly effective
- Improved Google Assistant and Voice Recorder
- No way to expand the storage of the Pixel 4 beyond what’s in the phone
- The battery life leaves much to be desired
- Unlike previous Pixels, the Pixel 4 doesn’t come with earbuds or headphone adapter
- Google is offering $200 off an unlocked Pixel 4.
- Lease the Google Pixel 4 or 4 XL with Sprint and get a second one for free.
- AT&T is offering up to $700 in bill credits towards a Pixel 4 when trading in a qualifying smartphone.
- Save $250 when buying an unlocked Pixel 4 from Best Buy.
We finish our exploration of 2019’s top phones with the iPhone 11. Although Apple revolutionized the market, let’s see how its newest iPhone stacks up against the competition.
The iPhone 11 released in September 2019 with some key upgrades. These upgrades include:
- A 6.1-inch Liquid Retina HD display;
- Market-leading A13 Bionic chipset;
- Dual 12MP cameras;
- 4GB of RAM, and;
- 3110mAH lithium-ion battery.
Constructed using the toughest glass ever in a smartphone, the iPhone 11 has a durable anodized aluminum finish and improved water resistance.
The camera has also been overhauled. The offered ultra-wide and wide lenses grants users the ability to crop and zoom post-snap. Night mode improves evening-time picture quality, Smart HDR improves the highlight and shadow detail of your pictures, and 4K video recording is always a bonus.
Despite the iPhone 11 coming in at $50 less than the XR, it is far from being a budget smartphone.
If you want to snag one of your own, you’re looking at spending:
- $699 for the 64GB model;
- $749 for the 128GB model, and;
- $849 for the 256GB
- Ultra-fast smartphone chip
- Improved battery life
- Night Mode
- Excellent video stabilization
- Screen resolution
- The new fast-charging adapter only comes with the more expensive iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
- At Sprint, lease any new iPhone and get a second iPhone 11 for free.
- AT&T is offering up to $700 in bill credits towards an iPhone 11 when trading in a qualifying smartphone.
- Go to Best Buy to save up to $500 when activating an iPhone 11 with qualified trade-in.
Compare these flagship phones to find the features you really want without emptying your bank account. You don’t have to shell out the list price to enjoy the latest and greatest smartphones if you know where to look. Deals change all the time, so keep an eye out for updates and new trade-in offers.