Here is a fun project you can do anytime of year and the fun lasts for a long time. Kids love to watch things grow, which is also a great science project. Here are the step-by-step instructions to make your own Chia pets, which are both educational and fun!
Gather your supplies:
- Small handful of grass seed
- Small amount of compost or mulch
- Knee high nylons, or even the foot/leg portion of an old pair of pantyhose you have laying around
- Paint or permanent markers
- Small bowl
- Optional, but recommended, newspaper for easy clean up!
- Open your nylons up and put in a small amount of grass seed.
- Fill the remainder with compost to the size you would like. Remember, the nylons stretch, so don’t overfill it.
- Tie a knot just above the compost and cut off the excess.
- Use paint or markers to create a face.
- After the face dries, place in small bowl of water. In a few days your “hair” will begin to grow. Just keep a small amount of water in the bowl and the hair will continue to grow.