2019 has been an exciting year for the smartphone industry. Cutting-edge phones have achieved significant advancements in photo quality and battery life with the help of artificial intelligence. Plus, new phones are able to power games and other high-performance apps with greater ease.
To decide whether you should upgrade to one of this year’s latest phones, have a look at our list of some of the best phones of 2019.
Apple’s new iPhone 11 features three camera lenses and robust post-processing effects that let you snap pictures like a professional. The phone uses machine learning to automatically retouch photos to make them look like they were taken in a studio.
Inside the phone, it features a battery with 4,000 mAh of power and enhanced power-saving capabilities to deliver almost twice as much battery life as former iPhone models. Moreover, the new A13 Bionic chip uses 40 percent less power in its efficiency cores to provide even more longevity for all-day use.
Prices for the new iPhone range from $699 to $1,499 depending on what model you purchase. All major carriers offer the iPhone 11.
Overall, the phone is a great choice for both Apple lovers and technology enthusiasts alike.
iPhone 11 Pros
- The iPhone 11’s photo and video capabilities are more advanced than many professional cameras.
- The phone is dramatically faster while using a lot less power.
- Apple claims that the iPhone 11 has the strongest glass in the smartphone industry.
iPhone 11 Cons
- No fingerprint scanner is available, so you must use FaceID.
- Only the most expensive versions of the iPhone 11 come with the advanced photo features.
- Although the iPhone 11 is one of the world’s leading phones, it still does not support 5G.
Samsung Galaxy S10
Samsung has been one of the leaders in the Android market for over a decade. Its new S10 phone marks yet another significant step forward.
The S10 features an in-screen fingerprint scanner to make accessing your device simple. The camera has three lenses to capture advanced photography in a way that is like the new iPhone. The rear camera is 16 megapixels while the front camera is 12 megapixels. Similar to the iPhone 11, Samsung uses artificial intelligence to significantly enhance images.
All carriers are supporting the S10. Samsung’s new device is best for buyers who want a cutting-edge Android phone since the device is priced at $899.
Samsung Galaxy S10 Pros
- The S10 takes excellent photos in all lighting conditions.
- The phone is the first mobile device to support Wi-Fi 6 and HDR10+.
- PowerShare and wireless charging are supported.
Samsung Galaxy S10 Cons
- The S10 is relatively expensive compared to other Android products that are available.
- The 3,400-mAh battery is bigger than you would find on low-end phones, but it does not provide as much power as many of the market leaders.
- To save power, the phone’s operating system reduces the screen resolution to 2,280 by 1,080 instead of taking advantage of the native 3,040 by 1,440 display at full resolution.
Huawei P30 Pro
The Huawei P30 Pro is a top-quality phone that features a 40-megapixel rear camera with five-times zoom. Additionally, the device comes with a 16-megapixel wide-angle lens for advanced photography. It is even capable of snapping shots at just 2.5 centimeters. Even the front camera is impressive since it can take pictures at 32 megapixels for awesome selfies.
In addition to the incredible cameras, the P30 is proficient technologically. In fact, it features a seven-nanometer Kirin 980 processor and has eight gigabytes of memory.
Although the P30 is allowed to be sold in U.S. markets, only GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile support the device. Priced at $750 by the manufacturer, the P30 is a great value overall.
Pros of the Huawei P30 Pro
- Although the P30 is technically priced at $750, it is widely available from third-party sellers for as low as $500.
- The phone lets you switch between using the fingerprint scanner or facial recognition.
- People who do not use a case love the P30 because it comes in colorful designs.
Cons of the Huawei P30 Pro
- The biggest downside of the P30 is that the U.S. government has declared Huawei a national security threat, so U.S. buyers may experience a wide range of potential issues with their device in future years.
- Since Huawei is likely to use its new HarmonyOS in the coming years, the future quality of updates for Android-based Huawei phones is uncertain.
- The phone is not resistant to dust or water.
OnePlus 7 Pro
The OnePlus 7 Pro is a stylish device that features a truly all-screen front display and a 90-hertz screen. The display itself is an AMOLED screen with a resolution of 3,120 by 1,440 pixels and an incredible pixel density of 516 pixels per inch.
When unlocking the screen with facial recognition, you can access your device in just 0.21 seconds. The camera also supports three-times optical zoom and a wide-angle lens. The device’s 4,000-mAh battery can charge in just 20 minutes.
T-Mobile is the exclusive carrier for the OnePlus 7 in U.S. markets. They have the device available starting at $599.
Pros of the OnePlus 7 Pro
- With eight gigabytes of memory and 256 gigabytes of storage, the OnePlus 7 offers top-quality performance at a moderate price.
- The 90-hertz screen is unprecedented in a smartphone and makes for an easy viewing experience.
- With a no-notch design, the OnePlus 7 looks slick and impressive.
Cons of the OnePlus 7 Pro
- Since T-Mobile has a monopoly on carrying the OnePlus 7 in the U.S., you cannot always use the device with your preferred carrier.
- The OnePlus 7 is mostly sold outside the U.S., so there is less English-language support available.
- Wireless charging is not supported.
Google Pixel 3A
The Google Pixel 3A is a top-quality phone available for a mid-range price.
Starting starts at just $499, the 3A comes with many of the features that are available on the most expensive phones. It offers two 12.2-megapixel cameras and a 3,700-mAh battery. The processor is the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 found on many of the best Android phones.
The Pixel especially stands out because of its native support for Google Photos and Google Assistant. With Google Photos, you can store unlimited high-quality photos in the cloud. Google Assistant is integrated into every function of the operating system.
The Pixel 3A is available with Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular.
Google Pixel 3A Pros
- You will love the Pixel 3A if you are a heavy Google Apps user.
- The inexpensive price point of the device makes it affordable for anyone.
- The low-power operating system enables the Pixel 3A to stay charged for days.
Google Pixel 3A Cons
- The 2,160 by 1,080 display shows significantly less detail than some of the other market leaders.
- The plastic body of the Pixel 3A is one of the most disappointing features of Google’s new device.
No telephoto or wide-angle lenses are included.